The Most Common Reasons You Need a Bike Accident Lawyer
“Despite how you may feel immediately after an accident, it is critical that you seek a professional medical diagnosis as soon as possible.”
Biking is an increasingly common mode of both transportation and recreation in America. As more people continue to use bikes, there will be a steady increase in vehicular bike accidents.
The resulting case that arises after a bicyclist suffers an injury can be complex, stressful, and confusing. Hiring a bike accident lawyer is one of the best steps you can take after receiving medical attention.
Sustaining a potentially life-changing injury while doing something you enjoy can be a traumatizing experience but it’s important to protect yourself from further suffering.
Injuries May Not be Immediately Visible
Being involved in a bicycle accident is both a physically and mentally traumatic experience. Here are some ideas to consider on why you may need to speak with a bike accident lawyer.
- Adrenaline Dump: If you are up and walking around immediately after the accident, you are likely going to experience what is known as an “adrenaline dump.” This occurs when your body produces a tremendous amount of adrenaline after sustaining an injury. It is an instinctual and autonomic response when our fight or flight reaction is triggered. One of the byproducts of an adrenaline dump is the dampening of pain receptors.
- Internal Bleeding: After the bicycle accident, the extent of your injuries may not be readily apparent. If you do not have life-threatening injuries, you are likely to be extremely sore the following day. However, if you do sustain serious injuries and you go immediately to the hospital as a precaution, it may be discovered that you are suffering from internal bleeding. Despite how you may feel immediately after an accident, it is critical that you seek a professional medical diagnosis as soon as possible.
- Injuries That Change Over Time: After receiving medical attention, it is important to contact a bicycle injury attorney before speaking with either party’s insurance company. Severe injuries can be dynamic and can change over time. Different symptoms can manifest in a variety of ways after the incident.
The symptoms may affect different parts of your body, and subsequent medical treatment may reveal that the symptoms are a result of the bicycle accident. For example, if you suffer a traumatic brain injury, the effects on your cognitive ability or mood may become apparent later on.
Insurance Companies Focus on their Bottom Line
Most insurance companies and their adjusters will focus on reducing the amount of compensation you receive after an incident. That is inherent in the nature of their business model so they can increase profits.
An experienced attorney will know how to navigate the complexities and obstacles created by insurance companies.
This will be true of both your own insurance company and the vehicle operator’s company. Although your personal insurance company may stand up for you and seek the vehicle operator to claim responsibility, you should still speak to an experienced bike accident lawyer before answering any questions.
If you are able, make sure to get the vehicle operator’s insurance information. However, do not answer any questions from insurance companies until you have retained a bike accident lawyer.
An experienced attorney will know how to navigate the complexities and obstacles created by insurance companies. They will also make sure you get the optimal amount of compensation to which you are entitled.
Protect your Legal Interests
As a result of a bicycle accident, you will likely be entitled to what is called pecuniary and non-pecuniary damages.
- Pecuniary damages are quantifiable; this means that if you have to take time off work due to a broken arm or some other injury, the days you have to take off and the resulting lost compensation can be counted toward your damages.
- Non-pecuniary damages are less quantifiable; these are the damages that arise from the emotional stress and trauma that comes from being severely injured.
Bike accident lawyers are skilled at calculating both pecuniary and non-pecuniary damages. As a victim of a bicycle accident, you will need a bike accident lawyer to protect your legal interests and seek out the compensation you deserve.
Focus on your Health
After suffering injuries from a bicycle accident, your number one priority should be recovery.
Sometimes the resulting injuries can be lifelong or last just a few weeks or months. When you retain a bike accident lawyer you will be able to have the peace of mind to focus on your health and recovery. The attorneys can handle the nuances of insurance companies and adjusters so you can feel less stress while recovering.
Contact Goodnow & McKay
At Goodnow & McKay, we have extensive experience handling personal injury claims, including bicycle accidents. These cases can be complicated, emotionally taxing, and life-changing. Despite the challenges, we are happy to work alongside you to make sure you are adequately represented throughout the process. Contact us today for a free consultation.